It’s finally here! The print version of Bach Shapes II is 144 pages of new studies in Bach for treble clef instruments, saxophone range.
Bach Shapes II is the sequel to Bach Shapes, the immensely successful scale and interval pattern book for all instruments.
In Bach Shapes II you’ll find 144 pages (twice the size of Bach Shapes!) of all things Bach, a culmination of 5 years of work by NYC jazz saxophonist and Bach enthusiast Jon De Lucia that includes:
- 50 pages of diatonic sequences, now with analysis, articulation suggestions and scale variations (harmonic minor, harmonic major, etc)
- A chapter on minor and diminished shapes, bringing Bach’s Toccata and Fugue into the Bebop Era with examples from Charlie Parker, Cannonball Adderley and more.
- 20 pages on the Circle of Fifths progression, applying Bach Shapes to chord progressions like “All The Things You Are” and “Autumn Leaves,” including MIDI chordal accompaniment for the exercises and live band recordings for the etudes.
- A chapter on Paul Desmond, including etudes and a solo transcription.
- A chapter on arpeggiation, using Bach’s methods to get through standard tunes.
- Etudes! More lines on jazz standards to help internalize the material.